Gmail is the most commonly and widely used email client application that stores data like contacts, emails, calendars, etc. on the cloud. If unfortunately your Gmail data is terminated or hacked, then you might lose your important email data for forever. To avoid such conditions, users can save their important Gmail emails with all the attachments to their local system and access them locally. To save the files locally, users need to configure their Gmail account in the desktop-based email client.
There is no doubt that Mozilla Thunderbird application is significantly used by many professional as well as non-professional users. Thunderbird is a desktop-based email client application that stores all its data in MBOX file format. Therefore, most of the users want to export Gmail contacts to Thunderbird. Here in this article, we will discuss how users can import contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird.
Why prefer Mozilla Thunderbird Over Gmail Account?
There can be numerous reasons behind the fact that users prefer Thunderbird applications over the Gmail account. Mozilla Thunderbird as an email client is loaded with several unique features. We have mentioned some of these features below –
- It is easy to search the data throughout the past conversations and emails received concurrently.
- It provides comprehensive control to manage the emails effectively.
- An option to One-click address book is available in the application.
- An Activity manager option is present which records all the interactions in Thunderbird and the email provider in a single place.
- You can add people into your contacts in an instant way. It enables you to add contacts by clicking on the star icon inside the received message.
Manual Strategies to Import Contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird
You can follow the manual steps to export Gmail to Thunderbird. Before starting the process, you need to create a backup of all your data and secure your important data from being lost.
Stage 1: Export Contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Click on the Contacts option in the top left panel of the screen.
- Now Click on the Menu and then select the Export option in the drop down.
- Then select the contact group you want to export to the Thunderbird application.
- In the next step, choose CSV as the export file format. Thunderbird easily supports CSV.
- Click on the Export button to start the process of exporting.
- After that, click on the Save as button and browse to the location where you want to save the resultant file.
Stage 2: Import CSV to Thunderbird
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Click on the Address book option in the top pane.
- Select the Tools option.
- Choose the Import option in the drop-down.
- Now, select the Address Book tab to only import contacts from Gmail into Thunderbird.
- Click on the Next button to proceed.
- Choose CSV as a text file.
- Choose a CSV file format from the bottom right corner.
- Once the CSV format is selected, click on the Open button.
- Now click on the OK button to proceed.
- Then Hit the Finish button once the importing process is completed successfully.
You can now view the imported CSV file in the Mozilla Thunderbird application.
Limitations with the Manual method to Export Contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird
There are several limitations as well using the manual techniques to transfer all the contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird. The process is quite lengthy and more time-consuming. There is always a risk of the fault and human errors, as the process has some complexities. It might be possible that some of the exported contacts might not be visible in Thunderbird. Because of all these limitations, users need to try any reliable and best alternative solution. But, now we will discuss the recommended and trustable solution.
Professional Solution to Import Contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird
Above, we have seen there are several limitations with the manual approach to import contacts to Thunderbird. In addition you can also use the professional solution which is more advanced and acts more safe and quick. I would suggest using the Gmail Backup Tool which is one of the known and trustable solutions in the market. The tool is designed on advanced algorithms and provides a user-friendly GUI to its users. The software offers several amazing features which overcome all the limitations and simplifies the process.
- Easily creates a backup of Gmail emails to different file formats like PST, MBOX, PDF, MSG, CSV, EML, and many more.
- Directly export Gmail emails with all the attachments to another email client such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.
- User can maintain Data security and data integrity during the backup.
- Doesn’t alter the structure and hierarchy of the original file.
- Users can filter emails using the date filter feature.
- Provides a Naming convention option to give a name to the resultant backup file.
- Backup all the mailbox data of Gmail including Contacts, Emails, Calendars, Tasks, and my drive items.
- Provide a Delete after download option.
- User friendly GUI.
- The demo version of the tool allows users to backup initial 50 emails for free.
In this article, we have discussed how to import contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird. Therefore, we have discussed both manual as well as the professional solution so that the user can transfer all the contacts from Gmail to outlook. We can now conclude that there are limitations using the manual method. Hence users can use the professional solution which is considered to be more secure and quick.